health care  
 
All about Bell's palsy facial nerve causes of Bell's palsy symptoms of Bell's palsy diagnosis of Bell's palsy treatment for Bell's palsy prognosis of Bell's palsy

What is the prognosis of Bell's palsy?

Although the symptoms of Bell's palsy are frightening, there's a good chance that the nerve will be able to work properly again. Most individuals with Bell's palsy begin to notice improvement in their condition within 2-3 weeks of the symptoms' onset. At least 80% of them will be fully recovered within three months. Among the other 20% of afflicted individuals, symptoms may take longer to resolve or they may be permanent. Individuals suffering permanent nerve damage may not regain control of the muscles on the affected side of the face. These muscles may remain weak or paralyzed. If the nerve recovers imperfectly, they may experience involuntary facial twitches or spasms that accompany normal facial expressions. Factors associated with a poorer outlook include a high degree of impairment, a long time before symptoms start to improve, advanced age and severe pain in or around the ear.

More information on Bell's palsy

What is Bell's palsy? - Bell's palsy is unilateral facial paralysis of sudden onset due to a lesion of the facial nerve. Bell's palsy is a weakness (paralysis) that affects the muscles of the face.
What is the facial nerve? - The facial nerve carries impulses from the brain to the facial muscles, allowing facial expression and movement.
What causes Bell's palsy? - The exact cause of Bell's palsy is not known. Inflammation develops around the facial nerve as it passes through the skull from the brain.
What're the symptoms of Bell's palsy? - The major symptom of Bell's palsy is one-sided facial weakness or paralysis. Muscle control is either inadequate or completely missing.
How is Bell's palsy diagnosed? - The fact that Bell's palsy is a diagnosis of exclusion becomes apparent in the course of the medical examination.
What's the treatment for Bell's palsy? - Doctors prescribe an antiviral and/or a steroid for Bell's palsy. Prednisone treatment speed recovery and reduce the frequency of a bad result.
What is the prognosis of Bell's palsy? - Most individuals with Bell's palsy begin to notice improvement in their condition within 2-3 weeks of the symptoms' onset.
Neurological disorders Mainpage

Topics in neurological disorders

Autoimmune nervous system diseases
Autonomic nervous system diseases
Degenerative nervous system diseases
Central nervous system diseases
Brain diseases
Cranial nerve disorders
Headaches
Dementia
Language disorders
Perceptual disorders
Motor neuron diseases
Neurologic manifestations
Movement disorders
Peripheral nerve disorders
Sleep disorders
Spinal cord diseases
 

Featured neurological articles

Multiple sclerosis
Cerebral palsy
Migraine headache
Cluster headache
Alzheimer's disease
Stuttering
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Parkinson's disease
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Neuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy
Diabetic neuropathy
Lower back pain
Snoring
Sleep apnea
Brain tumor
Brain cancer
Spinal cord tumors

Nutrition for neurological disorders


MindSoothe for emotional health
MindSoothe, a natural herbal remedy, contains a selection of herbs known for their calming and supportive function in maintaining brain and nervous system health, emotional balance and overall wellbeing.

Neuro Natural Memory
Specifically formulated to help support brain health, Neuro-Natural Memory may help improve memory, concentration levels and reduce the potential for brain and memory function problems.

Triple Complex Sleep Tonic
Sleep Tonic helps the body relax and produce all the hormones essential for healthy sleep; safe for everyone, including pregnant and nursing women, children, and small babies.


All information is intended for reference only. Please consult your physician for accurate medical advices and treatment. Copyright 2005, health-cares.net, all rights reserved. Last update: July 18, 2005